Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I am a servant in my house. No, worse, servants get payed. I am a SLAVE. But how is it that I know when I am wanted to do something. WEll, there are quite a few ways. I will be presenting to you several scenarios, demonstrating the many ways in which I am asked to do things in our house.

Scenario 1: Noey
Lets say that my sister would like me to get them a glass of water. First, their voice will get about 6 or 7 octives higher than it normally is. Then in this earsplitting voice they will say, "Noeyyyy... Will you get me a glass of water?" Of course I oblige, not wanting to hurt their feelings, and not wanting them to hurt my face. During Samanthas high school years she used this phrase so often that as soo as she said, "Noeyyy..." I would cut her off with "Fine". It wasnt until she was in college that I realized that she had used Pavlovian conditioning on me, making me no better than old Isaac's dog drooling for a bell.

Scenario 2: Permission
This is one of my mother's personal favorites. Lets say she would like me to gather the laundry. She will say, "Noah, while I'm gone you can gather the laundry." Obviously, this fills me with joy. You see, as a slave, I have no free will, so I am thrilled that she has given me permission to gather the laundry.

Scenario 3: The Statement
There are many statements that my sister/ mother will use to "ask" me to do something. The first goes something like this. "Noah, Rebel needs to go out" Well, then TAKE HIM!!! Obviously, I dont say this, you know the whole "fear of them hurting my face thing". The next is one that my sister used just a moment ago. "Noah, there is a necklace in my backpack". Oh my, Samantha, what should we do about that?

Scenario 4: My Favorite Things
Sophie. This is her method. This is more of a redirection method then a straight on asking method. YOu may be confused. Allow me to demonstrate.
Mother: Sophie, go do the paper garbage.
Sophie: What? No....
Mother:What? Yes...
Sophie: Let Noah do it. (Again the permission)
Mother:No Sophie, YOU.
Sophie: But Mom, paper garbage is Noah's favorite...
Mother OH! NOAH!!! COME HERE!!! YOU GET TO DO THE PAPER GARBAGE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment